Hi there. It’s been a while since I’ve been here. A lot has happened in the past year.
* Our oldest son and his family moved in with us.
* The six of us moved to a larger place, across town.
* I attempted NaNoWriMo and failed dismally.
* My parents built their dream house in the neighborhood we moved from.
* I injured my knee jumping off the stairs and running after grandkids.
* My mother died a month after moving to their new home and my father is now alone for the first time in forty-five years.
* I had knee surgery and reluctantly decided Olympic child hurdling is in my past.
I haven’t written anything other than for work since Mom died. Not a day has gone by during this time that I didn’t think about writing. I missed it terribly. For some reason, I just could not make myself sit down and write anything remotely coherent for a long time after Mom died. I felt I should spend all my time with family. I feel guilty for the times I knew she wanted to see me and I blew her off for something I wanted to do. I thought there would be plenty of time for that after they moved to our little town and settled in. I’d planned to take her to the library and introduce her to some of our local characters. I didn’t get to do any of that, and in fact, I cheated myself out of what time I did have with her. I needed to punish myself for that. However, the longer I go without writing, the more irritable I become. And that’s more of a punishment for those around me than for myself.
It’s been six months and two days. I could tell you the hours and minutes too, but I need to stop counting them. It’s time to let the words out.